Thursday, November 3, 2016

Glorious Naarden...The Essence of the Netherlands!

Recently I was fortunate to spend three full months exploring the beautiful cities, villages, and countryside of the Netherlands. Each and every day of my stay produced cherished experiences and memories. That being said, a couple of my adventures stood above all others. One of those was the day I spent exploring exquisite Naarden.
Naarden is a small, old school town built out in the middle of a small body of water, on a man-made "island" of sorts. The town spreads out over the tiny island from it's beautiful centerpiece, an age-old church. The only way into the town proper is on a narrow, single lane road that traverses the lake and enters Naarden through beautiful stone arches. 
The town itself is quite lovely and sported several restaurants serving some of the best food I sampled on my entire trip. Quaint, colorful, vintage, classic...all of these describe Naarden to a tee. And while the town itself is well worth the visit, what struck me the most on that day was my walk around the outside of the giant moat, looking into the town from beyond, a dramatic storm covered sky seemingly casting me back in time. I traversed the entire circumference, as if in a dream, imagining what travelers must have thought, what opposing generals must have wondered as they gazed across the water.
A trip to the Netherlands, regardless of the specific area is well worth it and will form lifelong, joyous memories. However, it will not be complete without a visit to the timeless wonder that is the village of Naarden.

For stunning images go to: Christian Richards Photography


No comments:

Post a Comment